Do you have any old clothing that you just don’t wear anymore, but you don’t want to be wasteful and throw it away? Are you sick of spending money on toys that your dog is just going to rip apart in three minutes anyway? Try this DIY.
Here, we show you how to upcycle your old clothing into toys that your dog will love. Not only will you get a second use out of your old T-shirts, but you will also save yourself a few trips to the pet store.
- Find some scissors and an old piece of clothing that you no longer have any use for.
- Cut the top layer of the article of clothing down the middle and straight across to make the piece of clothing one long strip.
- Make 3-inch cuts along the bottom and top of the article of clothing. This will make it easier for you to tear the clothing into smaller, skinnier strips.
- Rip the clothing into long strips. They don’t have to all be the same size.
- Gather your strips into one, and leave out two small strips to tie the ends.
- Use one of your small strips to tie the top of the bundle together.
- Divide the bundle into three, and braid.
- Use the second small strip to tie the end of the bundle together.
It’s that easy! As you can see in the video below, my dogs loved this toy. First we played fetch outside with it, and then Banjo threw it around by himself inside until Scout joined him for a game of tug-of-war. If this DIY toy can survive these two, it will definitely survive your dog, too, at least for a while.